|Disciplines||Literature and Language - Irish|
|Temporal Terms||Early Modern (16th c. to 18th c.), Modern (19th c. to 20th c.), 21st century|
|Methods and Techniques||Cataloguing and indexing, Coding, Communication and collaboration, Data Analysis, Data Capture, Data modelling, Data publishing and dissemination, Data reuse, Data Structuring and enhancement, Digital document preparation, Generic Searching/linking/visualizing, Image capture, Linking records, Manual transcription, Project Management, Requirements, Searching and querying, Security/backup, Strategy and project management, Text Encoding, Textual analysis, Textual interaction and sharing, Web technologies|
|Contact||ainmdcu [dot] ie|
|Start/End date||January 2010 - (open-ended)|
|Data Formats||Extensible Hypertext Markup Language (XHTML), Extensible Markup Language (XML), Microsoft Excel (XLS), Microsoft Word Document (DOC), Tab Separated Data (TSV), Text File (TXT)|
|Metadata Formats||Text Encoding Initiative (TEI)|
|Funding||Department of Community Equality and Gaeltacht Affairs|
|Irish Geographic Names||All Ireland|
An Irish-language biography project is being developed by Fiontar, Dublin City University, in collaboration with Cló Iar-Chonnachta, and Diarmuid Breathnach and Máire Ní Mhurchú, original authors of the biographies. The Department of Community, Equality and Gaeltacht Affairs is funding the initial strand of the project.
The objective of this strand is to digitize the nine volumes of Irish biographies (1986-2007), by Diarmuid Breathnach and Máire Ní Mhurchú, in which there are 2,052 pages and 1,272 biographies, and to publish them online. Subject to availability of funding, Strands 2 and 3 provide for print publication in a single volume (plus CD-ROM if appropriate), and development of a work plan for the ongoing research and updating of Irish-language biographies.
The original published works are:
* 1882–1982 Beathaisnéis a hAon. Dublin: An Clóchomhar. 1986.
* 1882–1982 Beathaisnéis a Dó. Dublin: An Clóchomhar. 1990.
* 1882–1982 Beathaisnéis a Trí. Dublin: An Clóchomhar. 1992.
* 1882–1982 Beathaisnéis a Ceathair. Dublin: An Clóchomhar. 1994.
* 1882–1982 Beathaisnéis a Cúig. Dublin: An Clóchomhar. 1997.
* 1782–1881 Beathaisnéis. Dublin: An Clóchomhar. 1999.
* 1560–1781 Beathaisnéis. Dublin: An Clóchomhar. 2001.
* 1983–2002 Beathaisnéis. Dublin: An Clóchomhar. 2003.
* Beathaisnéis a Naoi: Forlíonadh agus Innéacsanna. Dublin: An Clóchomhar. 2007.
This work is a valuable original study comprising the biographies of Irish men and women from 1560 up to 2006. The objective of the current project is to provide easy access to this knowledge and to ensure the continuity of this work.
This project comprists of three strands:
Strand 1: The digitization of the original material and its publication online on a pilot basis by the end of 2011. The technical platform is based on models created by Fiontar for focal.ie and logainm.ie.
Strand 2: Ensuring continuity in Irish-language biographical research (subject to funding).
Strand 3: To publish the original material plus updates in a single printed volume (plus CD-ROM if appropriate), as well as updating the online version on an ongoing basis.
Strands 1-3 may be developed simultaneously. Resources will be added gradually to the site, including digital samples of the material and additional biographies (2007-2010). Interviews with the original authors (in Irish) are also available.
The original series was published by An Clóchomhar. The rights are now held by Cló Iar-Chonnachta. This project is being completed on a partnership basis between Fiontar (DCU) and Cló Iar-Chonnachta. Máire Ní Mhurchú and Diarmuid Breathnach, the original authors, are collaborating with Fiontar to provide biographies for Irish-language figures who have died 2007-10 as part of Strand 1.
Fiontar has broad experience of working on partnership projects in Irish digital humanities, in particular www.focal.ie and www.logainm.ie, as well as the provision of terms in Irish for www.iate.europa.eu. The work team in Fiontar is multidisciplinary and comprises language and editorial expertise, technical expertise and project management experience.
The key editing tasks being undertaken by Fiontar are as follows.
1. Scanning of the volumes and conversion to text.
2. Editorial checking of the digital version.
3. Creation of a searchable database to make the biographies viewable online. This comprises the following steps:
* Writing of a detailed plan
* Database/ corpus design
* Processing and import of data
* Search engine development
* Public web site design and building
* Editorial interface design and building
* Testing and publishing
* Development of additional editorial resources
* Problem solving
* Security and hosting
4. Editing of the original material and of new material (updates).